The city of Worcester from the west in the 1750s by S. & N.
The medieval bridge spans the River Severn to the north (left).
Boats are grouped by the Quay (centre) and a 'trow' lowers its sail
to pass underneath the bridge. Inside the old walled city, the cathedral
dominates the south end next to sloping gardens of the Old Palace
(right), and the smoking kilns of Dr. Wall's porcelain manufactory.
Beyond rise the hills which were later to be developed as Regency
and Victorian suburbs. The motte of Worcester Castle can be seen
on the extreme right of the print. The motte and bailey castle was
built by Urse d'Abitot, Sheriff of Worcester in 1069. During the
13th century it ceased to be a significant military centre, though
the buildings were used as a prison until 1814, when a new gaol
was built in Castle Street. The motte was steadily dismantled between
1823 and 1846.