Worcester's medieval bridge, before 1781
The medieval bridge spanned the River Severn
between Newport Street and Tybridge Street, and dated
from at least the 13th century. The location of earlier
crossing points on the River Severn in Worcester are conjectural,
but this particular site had a prominent sandbank or 'eye',
which may have given its name to Newport Street, which
was known as Eport Street in medieval times.