1610 John Speed's map of Worcestershire includes the first
street plan of the city.
Speed's plan of Worcester at the time of the Civil War battle
in 1651 (drawn up in 1660).There
are several versions of this map - in this one the major buildings
have been redrawn in 18th century style - but all show Fort
Royal, the defended Sidbury suburb, and Lowesmoor and Foregate
Street empty of buildings.
Doharty's map of 1741
shows the city plan very little altered from the medieval period.
The gates at Sidbury, St Martin's and St Clement's are still in place,
and the medieval Cathedral bell-tower, attached to St Michael's church,
was still standing. New features include the Hopmarket and Cornmarket
Doharty's update of his 1741 map, c 1775,reprinted in about 1780. Uniquely this map shows both
the medieval bridge across the Severn, and the newly completed
bridge on the present site. The rest of the map has not been
altered - for instance the Infirmary is not shown, though several
of the medieval gates are.
Young's map of 1779is the first to show individual houses,
while other buildings can be identified from the detail - the coaching
inns, mainly on High Street, Foregate Street and Broad Street, are
all named, and industries such as the porcelain works, on the riverside,
and the distillery and brickyards on the west bank, are shown.