South Quay developed from the old medieval waterfront,
many of the buildings to which survived until demolished during
a slum clearance programme in the 1930's (the area shown on
the left on the 1886 1:2500 OS map). St Andrew's church was
demolished during the 1940's, although the 18th century spire
was retained as the "Glover's Needle" in commemoration
of the many poorly paid glovers who used to live in the parish.