The Public Hall, Cornmarket (marked on the left
on the 1886 1:2500 OS map). Originally built as a corn exchange
in 1849, this was abandoned in favour of the corn exchange in
Angel Street, and it became a Public Hall. During its heydey
the Public Hall played host to such people as Charles Dickens,
Dvorak and Edward Elgar.
The Public Hall was demolished in 1966 to make way for the City
Walls road development and a new car park.