The Theatre Royal, Angel Street. While a theatre had
stood on this site since 1780, it only became the Theatre Royal
in 1884 when the building was bought by a group of amateur actors
and rebuilt (see the 1886 OS map extract on the left).
The theatre closed in 1955 and was demolished in 1960, being
replaced by the current structure which is used as a supermarket.