The church of St Michael's was originally built next
to the cathedral during the medieval period (marked on the left
on the 1886 1:2500 OS map) but was rebuilt in 1839 across the
road next to the Lich Gate. Both St Michael's and the Lich Gate
were demolished in 1965 to make room for the Lychgate Shopping
Centre and the Gifford Hotel. Today the centre is being refurbished
having been an eyesore for many years.