In the early 19th century the Worcestershire Natural History Society
collected archaeological material from local antiquarians; this
was wide ranging in type and provenance but included a quantity
of prehistoric worked flint.
In the 1830's Thomas Eaton, a local bookseller, recovered Roman
pottery, brooches and bells from the demolition of Castle Hill near
Amateur archaeologists recovered material as redevelopment of the
city centre progressed during the mid 20th century, before professional
archaeology became established in Worcester.
Excavations were conducted between 1960 and 1985 on sites at Broad
Street, Cathedral Close, City Walls Road, Deansway, High Street,
Lychgate, New Street, Severn Street, Sidbury and Union Street. Excavation
work at Blackfriars and Deansway in advance of the Crowngate development
in the late 1980s produced much excellent material which almost
doubles the size of the collection.
Material from recent archaeological excavations and watching briefs
are deposited in the collections alongside the paper archives in
the Sites and Monuments Record.